Chicken Meatballs with Sushi Rice0 Comments
If I was to choose one electronic appliance to have in the kitchen, it would be a tough choice between the rice cooker, hand mixer and blender but I think I would choose the rice cooker. I have had my $20.00 Kambrook rice cooker forever, I can’t recall when it came to be in my kitchen.
This chicken meatball recipe is quite easy to whip up with a rice cooker and gives me great comfort when I crave something a little easy on the stomach. If I am organised I’ll prepare the meatball mixture over the weekend and freeze them ready to pull out during the week. Dinner then, becomes a ridiculously easier task!
When I mention easy on the stomach, for those concerned, this recipe is gluten, egg and dairy free. This dish serves 2 people with extra rice for the next day.
- 500 grams minced chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove chopped very finely or minced
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (I like the soy sauce flavour, 1 tablespoon is good )
- 2 teaspoons of honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of spring onions finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated or finely chopped ginger
- 2 cups of Sushi rice (Japanese short grain rice)
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons caster sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Tamari style soy sauce for serving
- Wash the rice thoroughly until the water is clear
- Place the rice in a rice cooker with 2 cups of water
- Set the rice cooker to cook and fluff occasionally with a wood spoon
- Season the rice with the rice vinegar, caster sugar and salt (this is optional and tastes just as delicious without)
- Line a flat tray with baking paper
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Place the chicken mince in a bowl and mix the ingredients with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into small balls on the tray. The mixture will be quite wet but will cook to a firm and juicy meatball
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until done